History of The Executive Club of Lincoln:
After WWII, many returning veterans in Lincoln, including those who had just received their college degrees, were eager to begin their careers and to get involved in the community. They wanted to get acquainted with others in businesses and professions. As a result, in 1953, they formed a local chapter of a national organization, the Exchange Club. The new club grew quickly to more than 200 members.
After several years, the members became concerned about the amount of money they were required to send to the National Exchange Club every year. They felt that the money could be better spent for the betterment of Lincoln. Under the leadership of Burton W. Folsom, the members of the local club broke away and formed The Executive Club of Lincoln. Folsom was elected the first president in 1957. The Club has no national affiliation.
The slogan of the Club is "Building a Better Lincoln". To that end, the Club has been an active participant in a variety of youth activities including, Cornhusker Boys State, Babe Ruth Baseball, Midget Football and a luncheon honoring the All-City High School Basketball Girl's and Boy's teams and their coaches.
The Club also supports The Salvation Tree of Lights. The Executive Club of Lincoln meets for a luncheon every Monday noon at The Nebraska Club with outstanding speakers from Lincoln business and professional communities; UNL; and from across the state. The Club, in one form or another, has been active in bettering Lincoln for 55 years.